Monday 11 June 2012

...but I want to watch it three times!

I have a confession to make. I'm slightly addicted to purchasing Blu-ray DVDs. This past week I bought three more, The Help, My Week With Marilyn and Martha Marcy May Marlene, and I noticed, once again, something that has been bugging me for a while now. None of these DVDs had a triple play feature.

When Blu-ray was just beginning to become popular it was full of inviting special features, crisp high definition, tons of disc space for extras, and the triple play function. Considering you need a specific player to watch a Blu-ray disc, the prospect of receiving a standard DVD, aswell as a digital copy of your film, is particularly inviting, making the heightened price less of an eye-sore. Unfortunately it's become apparent through recent releases that this feature does not seem likely to become the permanent feature of Blu-ray DVDs that it should be.

The lack of triple play might be forgivable if some other aspect of the product warranted the price tag it carries. Across the three films I purchased, a combined £56, there is a total of 14 bonus features. Eclipsed, in comparison, by the 20+ extras on the Extended Edition of Avatar. A release which also sports triple play. While some may argue that a film like Avatar is much more suited to the bonus features section of a DVD, I don't feel that justifies why we should have to pay such high prices to get less content on other releases.

The fact that two Oscar Nominated films and a critical darling are not deemed suitable to benefit from the full extent of the Blu-ray format astounds me. Taken to an extreme it's borderline victimisation of anyone who doesn't exclusively watch CGI-filled blockbusters. I love my Blu-ray's, but I'm going to need a lot more incentive to carry on paying the high prices for them than a pretty HD picture and underlying fear that standard DVD is going to pull a VHS and soon go extinct.

No comments :

Post a Comment