Wednesday 2 October 2013

30 Days of Horror | Day 2

A Disappointing or Unnecessary Sequel
The Uninvited

While there is certainly an argument for any remake being unnecessary in the spirit of this series I'll refrain from any repetitive rants about the lack of originality in Hollywood today. Instead I have chosen a remake that fits into both criteria of disappointing AND unnecessary, 2009's The Uninvited.

The Uninvited is a remake of A Tale of Two Sisters, a 2003 Korean Drama/Horror. I had watch the Korean original around a year before I came across The Uninvited but was oblivious to the fact it was a remake. This was probably due to the title change, which sounds sinister enough but bears no real connection to the plot itself and sadly means many people may never become aware of the films far superior original.

Even after noticing the familiar plot, and confirming that it was a remake through a quick visit to IMDb, I tried to stay hopeful hopeful that this might not be that bad. I'm particularly fond of Emily Browning and enjoy Elizabeth Bank's presence in films and so remained optimistic, despite knowing fully well the low level of quality that dominates Hollywood remakes. Needless to say, my optimism did not last much longer. The atmosphere of the original was gone, the performances were bland and, maybe because I already knew it, the story seemed typically 'dumbed down'.

I cannot recommend A Tale of Two Sisters enough, as an atmospheric horror with a great story and some equally great scares. If for nothing else, watch the original first so that you can enjoy the story being told well. Then, if you must, try The Uninvited.




No comments :

Post a Comment