Tuesday 17 December 2013

Tuesday Trailer: Godzilla



Godzilla
UK Release Date: May 16th 2014 


Trailer time again, and here is one that I'd spent months anticipating before it finally made it's way online.

Godzilla is my favourite of cinema's oversized beasties. I'm not sure why as I really don't remember being exposed to any of his films as a child, except for the one from 1998 that is never spoken of. Maybe it is because he reminds be of my childhood love of the Power Rangers, maybe it because there is a dark historical context surrounding his creation, maybe he's my soulmate. Whatever it is, when I finally sat down and watched the 1954 original and witnessed a man in a dinosaur suit trying to swat away missile attacks with his chubby little arms, I was smitten. So when Gareth Edwards, whose Monsters I loved, was announced as the director of a reboot starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Juliette Binoche, Bryan Cranston and my favourite Olsen, I was a tad excited.

I was lucky enough to catch the leaked Comic-Con trailer when it surfaced online a while back, before it got pulled from every website showing it off, but I still wanted some HD trailer goodness. And boy did I get it.

This is a fantastic trailer. Not only does it confirm that this will be just a s beautifully shot as Edwards  previous effort, but that it will also be just as character driven, two things that don't always go hand in hand with blockbuster monster-movies. I love that the trailer spares little time for the titular beast as the less of him I see before I get in the cinema the better, but what it does show is wonderfully handled, framed and rendered and leaves me confident that this will be a very strong comeback for him. The use of Requiem from 2001: A Space Odyssey is inspired, music that truly captures the sense of dread and impending doom that should accompany this title, and the whole halo jump sequence itself is glorious to witness, even if I'm not quite sure what it's purpose would be narratively.

Although it is a brilliant teaser trailer that has definitely left me want more, I still wish that that Comic-Con trailer had been officially released first. It was beautiful, simplistic and the use of Oppenheimer's atomic bomb speech was fantastic. I really hope that trailer gets an official release sometime soon.

Let me know what you think of this Godzilla trailer and the reboot in general.


No comments :

Post a Comment